Thank you for being so sensitive to our son’s self image worries about being ‘different’ because of his learning issues. Your support and instruction helped him develop coping skills that allowed him to grow and mature.William
Even after a rewarding decade working as a speech and language therapist in schools and private practice, I wanted to connect more deeply with my students, their families, and communities. I saw a rich world of learning within families and kids’ everyday lives and I craved the freedom to go there.
Today I get to live in that world, both as a parent and as the founder of Chatterbox Learning.
In this world, I am lucky to be inspired by many people and things every day. But the thing that stands out, time and again, is the rich potential for change within families.
Having a particular gift or challenge with reading, learning, or language — or being “different” in any way—can be stressful for kids. Parents and siblings are affected, too. Bringing awareness to the issue within the family in a way that highlights each individual’s strengths gives the child a new foundation of confidence from which to grow.
My vision and my hope is to give families the tools, support, and confidence to do just that. To learn, grow, and thrive—together.
- BA, Speech and Hearing Science – Washington State University
- MS, Communicative Disorders with an emphasis in pediatric neurology – San Francisco State University
- Certificate of Clinical Competence – American Speech and Hearing Association
- Member, International Dyslexia Association
Wired for Reading and Orton-Gillingham
PROMPT Level I
Project Read Written Language
Peak Potential Train-the-Trainer, Levels I and II
Our kids have been so lucky to be under your guidance and care. You helped them discover new parts of their capacity and allowed them to become even better selves.Julie
After a short career in journalism, I decided I wanted to have more impact on people's lives beyond telling their stories. I was inspired by my husband (and 3rd grade teacher) to pursue a career in education and couldn't be happier! I found great joy in working with students and their families, helping kids learn about themselves and our world.
As a teacher in the Seattle Public Schools for six years, I pursued literacy training and worked with my school and district to improve literacy instruction. I loved working in the classroom setting but wished I could dedicate more time toward one-on-one instruction to meet the individual needs of each child. For this reason, I'm thrilled to join Chatterbox Learning and provide individuals the tools they need to be confident readers, writers and speakers.
My vision is to guide students to shine and enjoy literacy. My approach is to work closely with your family, to get to know your child as a unique individual, and to tailor my teaching to bring out the very best in your child.
- BA, Multimedia Design and Nonprofit Management - Pepperdine University
- MIT, Master in Teaching Elementary Education - Seattle University
- National Boards Certification in Literacy, Early and Middle Child
- Advanced Reading and Writing Summer Institutes - Columbia Teachers College
- Handwriting Without Tears
- Wired for Reading
When I first began teaching in 2002, my goal as an educator was to help all children develop confidence in themselves as emotional, intellectual and social beings. Thirteen years later, I still believe in this priority along with the goal of helping all students be proficient readers and writers who are able to meet rising literacy demands of our technological society.
My area of expertise is working with struggling readers with a specific emphasis on students with dyslexia and dysgraphia. I spent the last 6 years working as a reading specialist in the Lake Washington School District where I provided strategic and intensive reading intervention to elementary children. Working as a reading specialist was an opportunity to implement reading strategies for struggling readers based on current and proven research. Before that, I enjoyed 8 years as a classroom teacher in first-fifth grades where I loved teaching all of the subjects but was particularly interested in best practices in reading and writing instruction.
I am thrilled to be a part of Chatterbox Learning where I create individualized lessons tailored to the needs of each client. It is my goal to help each of my students be confident and proficient readers and writers and provide his/her family with practical resources.
- Washington State Professional Teacher (renewed 2012, valid through 2022)
- National Board Certified Teacher- Literacy: Reading-Language Arts/Early and Middle Childhood (2011-2021)
- Master in Teaching- Elementary Education, University of Washington, Seattle
- Bachelor of Arts- History, University of Washington, Seattle
- International Dyslexia Association
- Washington Organization for Reading Development (Secretary 2012-2014)